LeRoy Cressy on Fri, 25 May 2001 14:11:09 -0400

Re: [PLUG] RedHat 7.1 glibc2.1 Backward compat - revisited

little endian and big endian are the two methods for aligning the bytes
of an integer.

dict big-endian

>From Jargon File (4.2.3, 23 NOV 2000) [jargon]:

  big-endian adj.  [common; From Swift's "Gulliver's Travels" via
  the famous paper "On Holy Wars and a Plea for Peace" by Danny
  Cohen, USC/ISI IEN 137, dated April 1, 1980] 1. Describes a computer
  architecture in which, within a given multi-byte numeric
representation,
  the most significant byte has the lowest address (the word is stored
  `big-end-first').  Most processors, including the IBM 370 family,
  the {PDP-10}, the Motorola microprocessor families, and most of the
  various RISC designs are big-endian.  Big-endian byte order is also
  sometimes called `network order'. See {little-endian},
{middle-endian},
  {NUXI problem}, {swab}.

As you can see if the compiler messes up up the order nothing will work.

--
Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:lcressy@telocity.com   /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )