Kyle R . Burton on Fri, 1 Jun 2001 10:50:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] User Accounts

> Don't log in as root.  Use a normal user account.  When you have to
> install something "su" to root ... it will save your butt some day I'm
> sure.  Most packages that you install in general go like this:

A long time ago when I first started using Linux at home I learned the
value of this advice the hard way.  I did an 'rm *' in /etc - I thought
I was in a different directory.  Needless to say, I wasted alot of time
trying to recover/re-install my system.

I figured I'd be careful while I was root.  I had never really been burned
under dos/windows.  Turns out I'm human.

> It's not all that painful.

sudo has alleviated alot of these pains for me:

  http://www.courtesan.com/sudo/

It makes it fairly easy to exec single commands or applications as root.
It's a little faster [for me] than using 'su'.

Kyle

   Of course power tools and alcohol don't mix.  Everyone knows power tools
   aren't soluble in alcohol...      -- Crazy Nigel