Bill Jonas on Mon, 4 Jun 2001 09:47:31 -0400

Re: [PLUG] lilo issues

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 09:12:25AM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
> Well, if there's nothing in any of those partitions you want to save, why
> not reinstall? Perhaps you missed a step.

I don't see any need to reinstall if she can boot into Linux.  Perhaps
she installed LILO in the partition instead of in the MBR?  If that's
the case, there are a couple options:

1.) Go into fdisk and mark the Linux partition as bootable.
2.) Edit /etc/lilo.conf and install LILO in the MBR (as opposed to the
partition).  Change the 'boot=/dev/hdXY' line to 'boot=/dev/hdX'.

> for the exact syntax - it's something like "lilo -c /mnt/my-etc/lilo.conf").
> Then reboot, and see what happens.

Keep in mind that if you do this you'll need to edit
/mnt/my-etc/lilo.conf to reflect the new (mounted) location(s) of the
kernel image(s).  There's also:

       -r root-directory
              Before doing anything else,  do  a  chroot  to  the
              indicated  directory.  Used  for  repairing a setup
              from a boot floppy.

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin