gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 5 Jun 2001 21:30:07 -0400

Re: file system shenanigans (was: Re: [PLUG] ELF Init section)

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 08:39:23PM +0000, qumak wrote:
> this to me would suggest that du can be only as specific as the block size of
> your filesystem (the -b option looks for bits, by the way - much like wc -c,
> except of course the 4091 extra non-existant bits ;))

Hrm. Perhaps GNU du. BSD du, as I've said a few times, reports in
512b blocks on a disk with 8192b blocks in the disk label.

I'll stress again that this is NOT the on-disk sector size.

> I'm assuming the fifth byte is in fact the first, being a magic number, but
> i'm probably wrong, it could be something else entirely ;)

Nope, it's the newline which (BSD and GNU, but not System V) echo
adds without the -n option.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net