gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 6 Jun 2001 15:40:06 -0400

Re: file system shenanigans (was: Re: [PLUG] ELF Init section)

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 11:52:52AM -0400, Michael C. Toren wrote:
> > Which I guess begs the question: Do the programs themselves interpret ^D
> > as the end-of-file while in interactive mode, or does the shell do this
> > and send them an EOF character?
>
> It's a terminal setting I believe, which you can change with stty(1)

Either that, or these programs are using the GNU readline library
or similar.

readline interprets some control characters as well as many escape
characters... every time I use a console program that prints a
when I type backspace or ka when I hit the up error to scroll back
through my input, I get quite irate. It take nearly no effort to
link against a readline library--and non-GPL (read, new-style BSD
licensed) ones exist, so one's wish to keep software closed source
or whatever is no excuse--for a great amount of benefit.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net