LeRoy Cressy on Wed, 6 Jun 2001 08:00:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] ELF Init section

The default inode size is 4K while the block size can be set also when
the file system is created.

the block size defaults to 1K butyou can use the -b option to set it to
512  The butes per inode cannot be smaller than the block size, though
it is ususlly larger with 4K being the default.

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 02:59:35AM -0400, Tim Peeler wrote:
> > ext2 - sizes of 1, 2 and 4k can be specified when creating the fs,
> > else it "determines" the best size, which is (in my experience)
> > almost always 4k.  I'm not sure about some of the new journaling
> > filesystems, I gather that *BSD uses 512 bytes?  I think the minix
> > filesystem and older versions of ext{1,2} did/can do 512.
>
> Really?
>
> I was legitimately under the impression that ext2fs used 512 byte
> blocks (Unix historical decision, btw, so yes, it's what the BSD
> fast file system and Berkeley log-structured file system as well as
> the System V derivation of ffs, unix file system, all use).
>
> Does anyone know the reasons for a decision to shift away from this
> for ext2fs? Must one choose from 1, 2, or 4k sizes when creating a
> new ext2fs partition, or can one specify arbitrary values?
>
> (It's quite possible to create a new ffs, lfs, or ufs file system
> with an entirely arbitrary block size other than 512 bytes, of
> course, and this is frequently a good idea, particularly when the
> file system will be backing a database system which will get a
> speed gain from having blocks of some other size. I'd expect that
> powers of 8 are probably recommended, though.)
>
>        ~ g r @ eclipsed.net

Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:lcressy@telocity.com   /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037          > ^ <