LeRoy Cressy on Thu, 7 Jun 2001 10:50:09 -0400

Re: [PLUG] ELF Init section

The block size is the smallest amount of space that a file can occupy
Whereas the inode size determins the total number of inodes or files in
a filesystem.  For instance, if a file system has a block size of 1024
bytes and a inode size of 4096 bytes then there is one inode for every 4
blocks.  So the total number of files that the system can have is equal
to the total inodes.  Thus the larger the inode size the fewer files can
occupy the system.

In answer to another question about the optimal block size and inode
size depends upon how the file system will be used.  If you are setting
up a data base with huge files, then large block size and large inode
size would be appropriate.  Whereas using a file system for a home
directory a block size of 512 would be appropriate.  Also since home
directories are notorious for having very small files, the inode size
should equal the block size, thus allowing for maximun number of files.

I hope that this makes a little sense.

LeRoy

Tim Peeler wrote:

> That's right, confusion and forgetfullness on my part.  Thanks for
> clearing that up.  BTW, what's the difference between block sizes
> and inode sizes?
>
> Tim

Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:lcressy@telocity.com   /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )