Mental on Sat, 9 Jun 2001 17:42:21 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: Help needed with MySql database

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 03:09:12PM -0400, Chuck Peters wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jun 2001, John Beck wrote:
>
> I have heard that it is a good idea to add a mysql user for each database
> because if someone were to get your mysql root passwd, they could easly
> trash all your databases.  I don't know how to add the users to the
> database yet, perhaps someone else with more mysql experience can tell us
> how.

you mean something like:
$ mysql -u root --password=secret mysql
 mysql> create database foo;
 mysql> grant select,insert,update,delete on foo.* to nobody@localhost \
        identified by 'password';
 mysql> quit;

This creates a databse called 'foo' and a user named 'nobody' with a
password of 'secret'. Or did I just completely miss the point?

Its all in the manual. http://mysql.he.net/ also has some good info.

--
Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

"It makes a big difference if we think of God as a person or as
a force. One way you get Christianity, the other you get Star Wars."
[Jayne Kulikauskas]