Chuck Peters on Sat, 30 Jun 2001 02:20:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] LINUX meetings at the Exton Library

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Michael Leone wrote:

> > Our meeting room can hold up to 100 people, and we can provide it
> > at no cost.  We currently have a Special Interest Group for LINUX, but
> only
> > 3 people consistently attend it.

I hope to change that, last meeting I gave a talk and we had about 15
attend, promo was done on CCIL and the PLUG list, but not at the library
or their Exton PC Council (EPCC) newsletter as it wasn't enough advanced
notice.  Hopefully this July meeting will be better as we have a blurb and
little article in the EPCC newletter.

> Can you provide a bit more info on the public transportation? I'd say right
> now that at least 10 (probably more) people take public transportation to
> each meeting (since 40 seems to have become a standard number of
> participants, that's 25%+).
>
> You mention a shuttle bus from the train to the library; what route would
> that be? Then we can estimate approximately how long would that take, and
> when the shuttle to the station would stop running (which gives us our
> "deadline time to be outta there" window. :-).

On http://www.septa.org/schedule.cgi?route=r5s&day=1 it appears the last
train back to philly is 10:54 pm.

http://www.septa.org/schedule.cgi?route=92&day=1 This one shows a good map
of the mall, library and train station, it has one of the bus routes, but
the times seem kind of screwed up.  It looks like about 4 or 5 buses serve
the mall and some of them are not septa.  I could call septa, but it is a
long distance call and it wouldn't tell me about the "Krapf's Route A",
whatever that is.  And it would be easier to find out when someone rides
the train or at the station.  The library is about a mile from the train
station, I would be willing to shuttle people back and forth and provide
my cell number.

> As an example ... the last meeting was held in Conshohocken. For me, coming
> from Center City, that was about 35 minutes or so travel time. Any idea how
> much travel time from CC to your library would be?

http://www.septa.org/schedule.cgi?route=r5s&day=1&return=on Surburban
Station 6:06 or 30th Street at 6:10 will get to to Exton Station at 6:57,
51 minutes from Center City.  People wanting to eat dinner before the
meeting may want the earlier trains, 5:08 - 5:54.  Better is the Great
Valley Flyer, it leaves Surburban Station at 5:41 and arrives in Exton at
6:20, 39 minutes.

> > So we would like to suggest that . . . .
> >
> > We plan a joint meeting, where our LINUX SIG host you on Monday
> > August 20th.  Our LINUX SIG could also host you on Weds September
> > 19th.  And we would be excited to have a LINUX presentation of some
> > sort on LINUX Desktop Apps for our general membership on Monday
> > October 1st. Do you think these dates are a possibility?  (We do not have
> the
> > first Weds available at all from now till the end of the year.)
>
> I'm not sure that any of our upcoming meetings deal with Desktop Apps, per
> se, tho. Perhaps the PostgreSQL v MySQL databse comparison.
> Anybody wanna do something like "Replacing MS Office with Star Office"? Or
> perhaps "How Mozilla stacks up against MS IE and/or Opera"?
> That would be a Desktop Apps presentation, I think.

I think that EPCC would like the talk you have planned "Coexisting with
the Evil Empire - or how to run Windows applications in Linux", although
maybe they would prefer the Evil Empire characterization be modified. ;)

I think John's suggestion of covering a Desktop App is because it would be
nice to have something that is likely to be popular among the EPCC
members, most of them are MS users.

The talk I really want to see is Zope and the new Content Management
Framework (CMF).

Whatever the talk, if someone wants to use a laptop running Linux for the
talk, mine is running Debian.

Thanks,
Chuck