Bob Razler on Sat, 30 Jun 2001 07:47:30 -0400

[PLUG] SuSE 7.1 Issues

Hello:

	I wanted to see if anyone else is having an issue like this.  This
has happened 3 times and I also want to get some input.

	I am running (or trying to run) SuSE 7.1.

My hardware is as follows:  Tyan Tiger 100; Dual PIII 850's (100 MHz); 1 Gig
of RAM; SCSI subsystem with 4 disks and 2 controller cards (3 U2W disks on
an U2W controller and 1 disk and my CD drives on another).  I usually
control which OS I boot into by setting the boot ID on the cards to the disk
I want and it works great for all of them (except Linux as stated below).

After many failed installs resulting in the dreaded "LI" at boot, I found
the best way to install was to just disconnect my 3 other disks and set the
preferred Linux disk ID to ID 0.  Then I would just install directly to it
and boot to it fine.  I also rebooted several times without error.

	The first 2 times I did this, when I reconnected the other drives
and booted into Whistler or Win98 for a while, I never disconnected the
Linux drive.  When I went back to Linux, I got a kernel panic error and the
system halted.  I assumed one of the windows systems was doing something to
the disk while they were up.  I made sure the swap/paging file wasn't
striped across that drive and checked everything else, but it reoccurred.

	The third time, I when I reconnected the other drives, I made sure I
disconnected the Linux drive.  Then when I tried to go back to Linux (by
disconnecting the Windows drives) I could not logon under my username.  I
could logon as root, but entering my username resulted in the system
switching the screen briefly like KDE was ready to start, but then dumping
me back to the logon screen (no error messages in the console and I tried
other windows managers).

	Now I realize the two issues might not be related, but they both
occurred after a stable install allowing reboots, but then failing after the
system disk had been either disconnected or not used for a time.

	I appreciate any help or ideas anyone might have.

Thanks,
Bob