Michael C. Toren on Tue, 3 Jul 2001 10:16:41 -0400

Re: [PLUG] newbie debian questions / philosophy

> I'm also trying to get debian up on an older machine. There the video
> card is ok, but the ethernet card is problematic. It's an ethernet
> card that Redhat 5.2 (!) recognized without incident.
>
> Any suggestions how to proceed on that ethernet card?

Probably the easiest thing to do in this case would be to boot up RedHat
and run lsmod to see which module it's loading for your ethernet card, then

> More generally, I'm curious if anyone can help me empathize with the
> debian installation process. The redhat installer is GPL as I
> recall. Why don't they borrow some of the device detection stuff?
> Debian's got an overly-hard install process, albeit with a nice carrot
> at the end of the stick (apt). I'm not looking for fancy graphical
> installers, but, sheesh, recognizing an ethernet card for which you
> have the driver...and bringing up X on a relatively popular card, at
> least in low res...

I don't know if I would call Debian's install overly hard, but it certainly
isn't as slick as some others.  There is a group working on a new install
process, but I haven't been following their development, and don't know if
they have any plans to include any type of hardware detection or not.

To be honest, when I'm trying to install a network card on an old machine
that I have no documentation for, I normally end up just writing a script
to load each module under /lib/modules/*/net until "ifconfig eth0" returns
true.

-mct