gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 3 Jul 2001 11:50:14 -0400

Re: [PLUG] newbie debian questions / philosophy

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 09:53:12AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> Any suggestions on getting X to work? I apt upgraded already.

XFree86 3.x or 4.x? If the latter, check
http://www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/Status.html for what should be in your
XF86Config. (I strongly recommend learning how to deal with
XF86Config by hand. It's really not that hard and you can be far
more intelligent about it than any automated process can, if you
know what you're doing.)

There's a similar document for 3.3.6, but I can't seem to find it
right now (not that I looked very hard).

> I'm also trying to get debian up on an older machine. There the video
> card is ok, but the ethernet card is problematic. It's an ethernet
> card that Redhat 5.2 (!) recognized without incident.
>
> Any suggestions how to proceed on that ethernet card?

Hrm. Because of the silly way Linux insists on using loadable kernel
modules for every damn PCI card, it probably won't, but does the
card show up as being recognized (and not configured) at all in
dmesg? (Look carefully. Knowing what IRQ it's at would help. It's
likely to be around IRQ 10, but there's no real guarantee.)

Do you know what chipset this card is? (Open the machine, look at
the labels on the card, spend some time with google.) If you know
that, it should be easy to lsmod the right driver.

> I'm not looking for fancy graphical
> installers, but, sheesh, recognizing an ethernet card for which you
> have the driver...and bringing up X on a relatively popular card, at
> least in low res...

I can't say much to that. If Debian's installer bugged you, don't go
trying NetBSD any time soon. ;^>

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net