gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 3 Jul 2001 11:50:14 -0400

Re: [PLUG] newbie debian questions / philosophy

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 11:31:02AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> I don't get that far: XF86Setup never manages to display anything but
> gray and stripes.

Huh? Doesn't Debian ship a text-based xf86setup? (They'd really
better.) You want to use that if you don't think the screen's going
to work right without some tinkering.

> Cool idea. But the kernel has to see the card for this to work, no?
> (The machine's at home, I'll check it later. I'd love for that to
> work.) Otherwise, the script suggestion (try 'em all, see which one
> works by testing the return value of ifup eth0) may be a decent
> work-around.

No, it just needs to get the vendor tags out of every card on the
PCI chain (a standard PCI instruction that standard-obeying PCI
cards all respond to correctly) and check them against its database
of vendor/device pairs. (Even if it doesn't have an entry in that
database, it should just print out the vendor and device tags and
you can go to google with those and almost definitely get results.)

I didn't know what Linux called this, otherwise I'd have said to do
it rather than just looking at dmesg. So do this instead. :^>

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net