Jeff Abrahamson on Tue, 3 Jul 2001 11:50:13 -0400

Re: [PLUG] newbie debian questions / philosophy

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 10:42:06AM -0400, mike_phillips@urscorp.com wrote:
> > Any suggestions on getting X to work? I apt upgraded already.
>
> To X4.0 ?. My laptop has got an ATI Mach64 based adapter in it (Mobility
> Rage AGP) and it works fine. You may want to check the amount of memory on
> the video card and ensure it matches what X thinks is there.

I don't get that far: XF86Setup never manages to display anything but
gray and stripes.

Yes, the monitor works on other machines at 1600x1200x32 @ 75 Hz.

> > but the ethernet card is problematic.
>
> PCI or ISA ? If its pci just lspci --v to find out the card type.

Cool idea. But the kernel has to see the card for this to work, no?
(The machine's at home, I'll check it later. I'd love for that to
work.) Otherwise, the script suggestion (try 'em all, see which one
works by testing the return value of ifup eth0) may be a decent
work-around.

--
 Jeff