gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 3 Jul 2001 17:50:13 -0400

PLUG letterhead (was: Re: [PLUG] Fwd: plug meeting at usip.edu - fyi)

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 02:15:09PM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
> Letterhead. Anybody wanna make us up some letterhead logo? <G>

Just to get the ball rolling:

  http://eclipsed.net/plug/

Do me a favor and use the JPG if you just want to lock, download
the XCF--gimp's native format--only if you want to tinker with it.
That machine, a PowerPC G3 in a PowerMac 7500 motherboard, and the
connection, Swarthmore's 1Mbit line through Yipes!, can probably
take a lot of abuse, but I'd rather not test it.

It's frigging huge because it's for print, obviously. That first
draft is 300 dpi, though it probably ought to be re-rastered to
1200 dpi if anyone's actually going to go about getting letterhead
printed.

Unfortunately, the tux logo only seems to come in 72 dpi, which
means it must actually be rasterized (or we have to accept how much
smaller it'll get at higher resolutions)... the only software I
know of that truly does this *right* is Adobe Illustrator. I have
access to a copy if we end up wanting that done.

Note that I like neither of the fonts (Courier is the only standard
X font that'll look even remotely pleasant rastered above 24
points), and I'm unclear on whether we're the "Philadelphia Area
Linux..." or "Philadephia Linux...".

Also, are we a "Users'" group or a "Users" group? (Slight, but
relevant, semantic difference. The former would be a group for
users, the latter would be a group of users. Not sure how you'd go
about expressing *both*... which is probably why the US Constitution
is specific about each.)

Got the Tux image from http://www.isc.tamu.edu/~lewing/linux/ (yes,
it's freely reusable). Hope no one is offended this was created in
gimp my NetBSD (rather than Linux) workstation. I'm a Linux user,
really, just not so much on my own machines. ;^>

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net