gabriel rosenkoetter on Sat, 7 Jul 2001 11:24:23 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Comcast@Home?

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 10:00:04AM -0400, Beldon Dominello wrote:
> I'm going through the same thing with Speakeasy, although I've decided to
> wait for my first phone bill and re-up for DSL.  They're going to set me up
> with free dial-in until I get my first phone bill-- which is nice because my
> e-mail address doesn't change.  If they didn't tell you about that, ask them.
>  That's gotta save some hassles.

Fwiw, I live in Swarthmore (across the street from the college,
about 15k feet from the CO over on the Baltimore Pike), and I've
had ADSL (128K upstream, 608K downstream maximum) for going on a
year now. It rocks. Speakeasy is *really* great. It took Verizon
two and a half weeks to get their line work done. COVAD showed up
to do my install the next working day. Speakeasy had been ready
since the first day Verizon was working.

They encourage more than one computer on the line (two IPs are free,
though I've heard DCANet's even better about this?), and encourage
using a non-Windows operating system (they include instructions for
Mac and Linux... and, though it's not readily apparent from their
web page, I've gotten the impression they're glad I'm not sitting
on their network with NetBIOS and NetBUI open the way about 90% of
cable users do).

> Also, as I don't have cable TV, Comcast isn't any less expensive for me.

Precisely the same decision I made (for that matter, I don't have a
television). It is, in fact, about an extra $50.

> The loss of support for Linux might or might not be an issue for you.  No
> matter what is wrong, if you even mention you're running Linux, they will
> say, "Linux isn't supported" even if the problem has nothing to do with that.
>  also, if you're running any kind of services (web server, ftp, etc.)  they
> routinely (i.e. about once a day) portscan your IP address looking for
> servers.

In contrast, Speakeasy has known what NetBSD was, much less Linux,
and understood what I was asking when I wanted some network topology
questions answered when configuring ipnat.

The ISP-run portscan's are pretty irritating. (They come up about
once every couple of months on incidents@securityfocus.com.) It
really muddies the waters about what is and isn't attempted network
abuse when you're on a cable line.

> The reason Speakeasy has to have that delay is the phone company.  The
> network provider (not the ISP) doesn't even have access to the information
> until the phone company decides to release it.  So the PC only updates their
> database once a month-- it's not really the ISP's fault.

Yeah, no kind of DSL gets installed quickly and it's no one but
Verizon's fault. It's not even the guys who come out and do the
work, really (though some of them can be incompetent too, they're
often quite knowledgeable and friendly), their repair order process
is absolute lunacy.

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net