gabriel rosenkoetter on Sat, 7 Jul 2001 12:48:33 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Comcast@Home?

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 12:15:47PM -0400, Bill Jonas wrote:
> I was paying the $90/month for 1.5Mbit/384Kbit service with a shell
> account and 2 static IPs.  For less than that, I could get cable TV
> along with my TCP/IP connection.

Where were you paying that?

If Speakeasy's prices are that out of whack for the service you
want, check out DCANet.

> Actually, it's OpenBSD for the firewall.  ;)

Heh. Hope you're not running -current. If you are, don't update.
You'll lose your firewall software. ;^>

> But what, if you tell them, "I can't ping my gateway", do you have to
> run some diagnostic program in Windows?

You'll have to escalate two, maybe three times, before you'll talk
to a tech support guy who understand what that statement means with
Comcast. (Whereas Speakeasy's first line tech support get it.)

> I placed my order July 31st last year.  My install was completed Sep.
> 29th.  Now they're telling me it's a month before I can even place the
> order.  I realize it's not their fault.  I realize that Verizon does
> everything they can to make competition hard.  I dealt with it.  I'm
> just getting frustrated at the BS ILEC politics here.

Woah, wait. You've been waiting for a full year to have an order
filled? (Or did I miss something about just having moved in the
original email?)

Verizon is stupidly backlogged around here. And just plain stupid.

> See, my issue is that we'll be moving again next fall, probably.  As it
> is, I only completed nine months on my initial one-year term.  We're in
> the same apartment building, we have the same NID, why can't I just pay
> the $75 or whatever for a Covad guy to come out and switch the line?  I
> already waited through a Verizon strike and nearly two months for the
> stinking thing to be provisioned in the first place.  It'll be up to a
> month before I can even place the order, and then it'll be two to three
> weeks minimum to wait for the install.  I have to problem installing all
> the stuff myself, and I already own the hardware.  That's not the issue.

Huh. This is work *I* could do. You might consider that. (Toner +
punchdown tool comes to about $150 at Microcenter, last I checked.)

The slow down at Speakeasy is that they're taking in a bunch of
people dropped flat by other COVAD resellers. I bet if you make
noise about being in the same building, etcetera, you could probably
get some results. You especially should *not* have to place a new
order. Hell, you shouldn't have to place a new order so long as
you're in the same CO, but that's a bit much to hope for Verizon's
swallowing.

But, presuming you've got the same phone number and all, the line
has already tested good from your apartment building back to the CO,
so all they have to do is switch it within your building. COVAD can
do this, you don't need Verizon for it.

(Or, as I said, so could I. But there'd probably be legal problems
with that.)

> I don't know if I've made any sense here.  I'm just tired of all the
> waiting and finger-pointing.

Don't blame you.

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net