Bill Jonas on Sat, 7 Jul 2001 13:13:09 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Comcast@Home?

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 12:48:03PM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> If Speakeasy's prices are that out of whack for the service you
> want, check out DCANet.

The prices are fine; it's only ~$10 more than the going rate of $80 for
1.5/384, and Speakeasy is really good.

> Heh. Hope you're not running -current. If you are, don't update.
> You'll lose your firewall software. ;^>

Heheh.  I was using 2.8 in my old apartment and decided I wanted to use
Debian.  I had problems getting the ethernet modules to load, though, so
I snagged the 2.9 install disk.  OpenBSD's install process is perhaps
worse than Debian's ;), but it recognized both of my NICs (an old 10Mbit
3Com ISA model and the Linksys LNE100TX) out of the box; all I had to do
was give them IP addresses.  So in some ways the install was *easier*
than Debian.  :)

> You'll have to escalate two, maybe three times, before you'll talk
> to a tech support guy who understand what that statement means with
> Comcast. (Whereas Speakeasy's first line tech support get it.)

Ah, I see.  I didn't realize that their support was that unclueful.

> Woah, wait. You've been waiting for a full year to have an order
> filled? (Or did I miss something about just having moved in the
> original email?)

This was last year, in my old apartment; order was placed July 31, 2000,
and the install was completed September 29, 2000.

> Huh. This is work *I* could do. You might consider that. (Toner +
> punchdown tool comes to about $150 at Microcenter, last I checked.)

Wish I would've talked to you *before*.  :)

> I bet if you make noise about being in the same building, etcetera,
> you could probably get some results.

I might call back and ask to speak to a supervisor.  It really is silly;
same building, same NID, same phone number, line's already
provisioned...

> But, presuming you've got the same phone number and all, the line
> has already tested good from your apartment building back to the CO,
> so all they have to do is switch it within your building. COVAD can
> do this, you don't need Verizon for it.

I'm about six blocks or less from the CO.  :)

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin