gabriel rosenkoetter on Sat, 7 Jul 2001 13:33:31 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Comcast@Home?

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 01:12:38PM -0400, Bill Jonas wrote:
> The prices are fine; it's only ~$10 more than the going rate of $80 for
> 1.5/384, and Speakeasy is really good.

Yeah, I'd managed to figure it out by the time I finished reading
your last email. ;^>

> Heheh.  I was using 2.8 in my old apartment and decided I wanted to use
> Debian.  I had problems getting the ethernet modules to load, though, so
> I snagged the 2.9 install disk.  OpenBSD's install process is perhaps
> worse than Debian's ;), but it recognized both of my NICs (an old 10Mbit
> 3Com ISA model and the Linksys LNE100TX) out of the box; all I had to do
> was give them IP addresses.  So in some ways the install was *easier*
> than Debian.  :)

Well, I'd modestly recommend NetBSD. The 1.5.1 release should be out
some time next week. And we still have ipf. ;^>

On the other hand, modifying a working set up is silly unless you
want to play around.

> Ah, I see.  I didn't realize that their support was that unclueful.

Well, I may be exagerating, but...

A former neighbor of mine here in Swarthmore (who should still be
reading this list, ahem, Michael) recounted making exactly that
statement to a Comcast phone droid and not getting a particularly
useful response. His description of Comcast was also that it was
great from 8 am to 8 pm and sucked in the other twelve hour block.
(Gee, wonder when the Strathaven kids were downloading their
pr0n...)

No matter how many times people talk about "higher bandwidth" with
cable, I can't get past the latency and shared bandwidth issues. My
measly 608/128 DSL feels a lot less latent than anyone's cable modem
I've ever used. (Well, except when my roommate goes and uses
gnutella. But that's why the hub's in *my* room.)

> This was last year, in my old apartment; order was placed July 31, 2000,
> and the install was completed September 29, 2000.

Yeah, that sounds like Verizon's average turnaround.

> > Huh. This is work *I* could do. You might consider that. (Toner +
> > punchdown tool comes to about $150 at Microcenter, last I checked.)
>
> Wish I would've talked to you *before*.  :)

Well, my point is that this is easy work. Tone the extra pair that's
not your phone line in your apartment, go to the networking closet,
locate that pair with the other half of the toner set (probably
not even punched down), punch them down to the pair that COVAD
labeled (they're really good about this) as being your line.

As long as they've not disconnected your DSL (which they may well
have), this will still work.

(Have you really never dealt with a punchdown block? It's totally
easy, I promise.)

> I might call back and ask to speak to a supervisor.  It really is silly;
> same building, same NID, same phone number, line's already
> provisioned...

I find Speakeasy is easier to get through to and actually more
responsive to email, but I only tried to call maybe twice.

> I'm about six blocks or less from the CO.  :)

Bastard. I bet you actually get sustained maximum throughput at
that. ;^>

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net