Mental on Wed, 11 Jul 2001 09:00:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] please comment on my new computer specs

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 08:58:57PM -0400, Darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> Looks like I'm finally building a new box to replace my p2 233/128mb box.
> I haven't been keeping up on hardware, but I've gotten some input from
> friends.  I would really appreciate input on this system - I'll probably

You're going to bottleneck like crazy on your video card. But you probably
already know this. What you might want to do is check out the Geforce2's.
The 3's are still too expensive. I semirecently fried my geforce1. I
picked up a 64M Geforce2 pro for $160. Incredible card. The ultra's are
faster, but only barely and cost about $50(at the time) more.
Anandtech.com has a very nice weekly guide for parts. Looks like you can
pick up the card I got for $142 now. It totally rocks. Quakeforge, Doom,
Quake3, UT, Tribes2..... all run great under linux. For windows gaming,
nvidia cards are awesome. The drivers can be a little weird to setup, but
there's a couple howto's out there. Also, the 1.0 drivers have GL header
files so you wont need to use the mesa-dev ones if you write any open gl
apps.

Just file away the guide for when you decide to upgrade your vid card.

And if you're looking for a monitor, theres a hitachi I can recommend.
1600x1200@85hz. Flicker doesnt live here anymore.

--
Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

"If I do not return to the pulpit this weekend,
millions of people will go to hell."
[Jimmy Swaggart, 5/20/88]