Zachary Whitley on Thu, 12 Jul 2001 19:30:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] apt-get / dpkg question

On 12 Jul 2001 16:22:30 -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> I kind of feel sometimes like the PADS list is a big empty room,
> there's so little traffic. So this time I'll ask a debian question
> here.
>
> Can someone help me understand what the problem is with the following?
> (The meat of the problem is the line that says
>
>   mozilla: Depends: libnspr4 (= M18-3) but 2:0.9.1-ximian.4 is to be installed
> )
>

> diderot:/home/jeff# apt-get install mozilla
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.
>
> Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> that package should be filed.
>
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   mozilla: Depends: libnspr4 (= M18-3) but 2:0.9.1-ximian.4 is to be installed
> E: Sorry, broken packages
> diderot:/home/jeff#
>

> Background: I tried to install Ximian GNOME using their go-gnome
> installer. But it got all messed up and dpkg was inoperable until I
> did an apt-get -f install to get rid of a bunch of stuff.
>
> Ximian is not in my sources.list file, but it keeps rearing its head.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> --
>  Jeff
>
>  Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>

Looks like you've got an old libnspr4 (mozilla portable runtime libs)
that was built against the old M18 dev tree. You could try either
removing libnspr4 or grabbing the latest libnspr4 and mozilla from
ximian via ftp.ximian.com/pub/ximian-gnome/deb....  Ximian is the only
one I know of who packages libnspr4 separately from the mozilla package
most rpm packages include libnspr4 with moz....

Hope that helps...

--Zachary Whitley