John Beck on Thu, 12 Jul 2001 19:11:31 -0400

[PLUG] Help with WINE

After the GREAT presentation last night, I decided to go out and give wine a try...

First, I realized that I needed to have my windows 98 partition accessible through linux, so I created a directory called: /mnt/windows

Next, I added a line to /etc/fstab that looked like this:
 /dev/hda /mnt/windows auto user,defaults 0 0

I restarted the computer, and made sure that I could access the partition from both root and my user id's.

Next I downloaded both the wine and itcl rpm's from Codeweavers' site, and installed them both.  Now is where the problems begin...

First, wine did not add any menu entry to my Gnome menu at all (I am using a default RedHat 7.1 install with Gnome).  So, from a command line, I ran: winesetup.  The setup program ran, but failed to recognize my windows partition.  I tried to set up the fake_windows directory, but I pointed it towards /mnt/windows.  It then said to make sure that I configure the drives and paths options further down the road.  When I got to drives, I specified that the c: drive had a path of /mnt/windows and a Device of /dev/hda1

Under paths, everything seemed ok. except profile was blank, so I put in:
c:\Profiles\All Users

Next, I went to run a program (Word, then Excel, then all others).  Seeing as I had no menu options, I just used the file manager to browse to the winword.exe file on my windows partition, and double clicked it.  That's when wine failed with an error 2.  I viewed the log and this is what it said:
/opt/wine/bin/wine.bin: cannot find '/mnt/windows/Program\ Files/Microsoft\ Office/Office/winword.exe'

I received this same message for every program I tried to run.  I checked Codeweavers' site, and it appears that part of the problem is that wine didn't recognize the entry in fstab for my windows partition - any idea why?  Also, I couldn't find any idea why there were no menu entries added to my Gnome menu as Leonard demonstrated last night - even there site seems to assume that will happen.

Any help is appreciated!