Jeff Abrahamson on Thu, 12 Jul 2001 18:00:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] apt-get / dpkg question

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 05:04:47PM -0400, Darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> On 07/12, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> > I kind of feel sometimes like the PADS list is a big empty room,
> > there's so little traffic. So this time I'll ask a debian question
> > here.
> >
> > Can someone help me understand what the problem is with the following?
> > (The meat of the problem is the line that says
> >
> >   mozilla: Depends: libnspr4 (= M18-3) but 2:0.9.1-ximian.4 is to be installed
> > )
>
> I think you realize the problem is that you installed stuff that's not from
> the debian archive, which broke your dependancies.

Yup, kinda figured. It's the back-out that's got me stumped.

> One of the ximian packages may conflict with libnspr4, I don't know.  I
> suggest trying "apt-get install libnspr4", and then sending us the output
> of that if it doesn't work out.

diderot:/home/jeff# apt-get install libnspr4
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Sorry, libnspr4 is already the newest version
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
diderot:/home/jeff#

I think there's some weird dependency on the ximian.4 thing, but I'm
not sure what (or what to do to find out).

"apt-get install netscape" at least got me a graphical web
browser. But I know I'm going to miss the text size change widget in
mozilla before long.

I might try out that Hungarian site next week. This weekend I'm
offline (not quite in Hungary, but actually in Prague). After the
Ximian escapade, I'm a bit wary. (Ximian claims to work on Potato.)

--
 Jeff