gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:04:13 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Help with WINE

[It'd be nice if you could wrap your messages at 80 columns in the
future for those of us reading them on a standard 80x23 terminal.
It's kind of a drag to quote from messages with lines that trail
to hundreds of characters. :^>]

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 07:04:30PM -0400, John Beck wrote:
> First, I realized that I needed to have my windows 98 partition
> accessible through linux, so I created a directory called: /mnt/windows

That's a very bad idea. /mnt is expected to itself be a mount point
to use when temporarily mounting a disk, and may be used that way
by various scripts. If something's mounted at /mnt, your windows
partition will magically disappear.

It'd be better, if you're going to have this drive moutned from
fstab, to make a /windows directory (or /usr/windows if putting new
directories in / is against your OS-religion).

> Next, I added a line to /etc/fstab that looked like this:
>  /dev/hda /mnt/windows auto user,defaults 0 0

That doesn't look like a correct fstab entry to me. Shouldn't it
have a partition specifier? You say further down that Windows lives
in /dev/hda1. If so, that's what belongs here, not just /dev/hda
which, if I'm understanding how Linux handles disk partitions
correctly, refers to the whole hda disk. (Really, you don't want
this even if windows is the only thing on that logical disk. There's
stuff that lives before the actual partition that should *not* be
part of what gets mounted.)

Also, while the auto keyword will probably work for the fstype
field, it'd probably be better to specify what's really there
(FAT16, VFAT, FAT32, whatever).

> I restarted the computer

Why? All you needed to do was mount -a.

I can't speak to the Gnome or Wine problems, but they may be rooted
in not having the Windows partition mounted quite correctly.

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net