fintler on Sat, 14 Jul 2001 20:14:51 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Help starting X and Gnome in Slackware 8.0

Le Samedi 14 Juillet 2001 04:32, vous (John Beck) avez écrit :
>> I need some help getting X to start in my user account. I just installed
>> Slackware 8.0, with Gnome 1.4. It boots to a command
>>  prompt, which is fine, so I log in as root and type: startx
>>
>>  Everything starts fine and works without a problem. Gnome 1.4 is great!
>> Now, I added a user by doing: useradd jbeck Next, I set my
>>  password: passwd jbeck
>>
>>  Now I go to log in, and everything is fine, except that it says it can't
>> find a home directory, so it is using /home. I wasn't quite sure
>>  how to make my default directory be something like /home/jbeck ?
>>
>>  Next, I typed startx at the command prompt, and I got a few messages,
>> which includes:
>>  Xauth: timeout in locking authority files //.Xauthority
>>  Xauth: timeout in locking authority files //.Xauthority
>>  Xauth: timeout in locking authority files //.Xauthority
>>
>>  Followed by a bunch of stuff that scrolled past me, and then:
>>
>>  cat://Xauthority: no such file or directory
>>  Gnome-ERROR **: Could not create per-user Gnome Directory <./gnome> -
>> aborting
>>
>>  Can anyone please help with specific directions on how to finish setting
>> up my user directory to default to /home/jbeck instead of just
>>  /home, and how to get X and Gnome to start?  As you can tell, I am a
>> newbie, so please try not to make many assumptions to my knowledge, other
>> than my ability to follow your directions!  :-)
>>
>>  Thanks for your help!
>>
>>  John
>
>well, as root edit /etc/passwd and find your name, replace /home (or if there is no home entry,
it >should be the sixth entry (entries are seperated by :'s)(at least it's the sixth in mandrake,
don't >know if that will change between distros)) with /home/jbeck - and make sure /home/jbeck
exists, if >not:as root- mkdir /home/jbeck
>chown jbeck:jbeck /home/jbeck
>
>this should do the trick (for X as well, without really thinking about it i'm assuming at least
that >your X problem is because you don't have permissions to write to /home)

>--qumak(james)
>
>p.s. - sorry about my rancid incoherency, it's late and i'd like to blame it on that ;)

Alright, lemme clear this up. First off slackware 8 uses shadow passwds, editing /etc/passwd just
makes the problem harder to find. Use 'vipw' to safely edit the shadow file along with the normal
/etc/passwd file. Also, slackware has a nifty utility called 'adduser' (useradd's non-evil twin)
that walks you through the steps in making an account.

chown apparently has a different syntax than that in slackware, so it would be 'chown jbeck.jbeck
/home/jbeck' instead of 'chown jbeck:jbeck /home/jbeck'. Although the ':' way may work, I've never
used it....I know for sure that the '.' works.

-Jon (jb@10v.org)

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/