John Beck on Sat, 14 Jul 2001 21:49:53 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Help starting X and Gnome in Slackware 8.0

Thanks for the help everyone!  I got it working thanks to everyone's help, and here is what I found...

Editing the /etc/passwd file did work.  As for chown, I used the syntax:  chown jbeck: /home/jbeck ,
and that worked as well.

Then, I figured out about the adduser script, which as was pointed out below, seems to be a much
better alternative then doing what I did, even though it worked, so I undid the changes I made, and
used adduser to create my user, complete with home directory and all!

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Now, is anyone ready to explain how to install ALSA sound card drivers in Slackware...?!