kaze on Tue, 17 Jul 2001 22:20:05 -0400

[PLUG] RE: Re: Are all SDSLs really just two ADSLs back to front?

I kind of fudged the numbers, but my questions are more about fragmentation
and packet sizes, how the two lines would work together; I guess it's a
layer one thing, so it doesn't matter. Still one modem each side. Just that
any xDSL with the same up and down speed (which would be a business type one
for hosting an application) is really two asymmetrical ones flipped, I found
intriguing.

==> Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 23:46:21 -0400
==> From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
==> To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
==> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Are all SDSLs really just two ADSLs back to front?
==>
==> Boys, boys. Try to behave civilly. ;^>
==>
==> I think the consensus on the SDSL issue is "duh?"
==>
==> I'd never heard that that's even what 640 SDSL was made up of. Does
==> that mean there are actuall two DSL modems involved? If not, what's
==> it matter?
==>
==> Are you just asking about the speeds? If that's the case, then
==> seeing a 640 Kbps SDSL line when there are 512/128 Kbps can be made
==> sense of sans this reversing. If a given chunk of hardware carries,
==> say, 1280, then it can be duplexed to carry 640 two way to one
==> location or 512/128 separately to two locations.
==>
==> All this aside, I don't really buy your theory, as my DSL is 608
==> downstream (max) and 128 upstream (always). The downstream wavers so
==> low as 300 Kbps or so during peak hours, and I don't think I've seen
==> it peak higher than 500, but it's definitely not the kind of strict
==> division you're seeing. (On the other hand, I'm about 15,000 feet
==> from my CO and Verizon's work isn't the most stellar around here,
==> but I was certainly given the impression that the variable
==> downstream speed was part of the package.)
==>
==> --
==>        ~ g r @ eclipsed.net

==> > Like one 512 down and 128 up ADSL plus one 128 down and 512 up ADSL is
sold
==> > as a single 640 down and up SDSL?
==> >
==> > The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even
==> > touched. They must be felt with the heart.
==> > -- Helen Keller

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long
at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.

-- Helen Keller