gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 18 Jul 2001 08:50:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] RE: Re: Are all SDSLs really just two ADSLs back to front?

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 10:05:15PM -0400, kaze wrote:
> I kind of fudged the numbers, but my questions are more about fragmentation
> and packet sizes, how the two lines would work together; I guess it's a
> layer one thing, so it doesn't matter. Still one modem each side. Just that
> any xDSL with the same up and down speed (which would be a business type one
> for hosting an application) is really two asymmetrical ones flipped, I found
> intriguing.

Okay, but what makes you say that? What did you read that told you
this?

As far as packet sizes, very few DSL connections will have an MTU
even approaching ethernet, so there's already a lot of internal
fragmentation and reassembly going on. PPPoE actually does a pretty
good job of this, despite how much folks around here like to badmouth
it. (Sure, it's hard to set up. But it's doing a hard job.)

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net