Jeff Abrahamson on Wed, 18 Jul 2001 06:50:05 -0400

[PLUG] seconds in cron

FYI, this was Re: [PLUG] Specify seconds in cron ?

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 12:46:41AM -0400, Sandhitsu R Das wrote:

> I want to run something every 45 seconds ? Can I do this with cron or any
> variant ?

#!/bin/sh
do_it &    # runs at time 0
sleep 45
do_it &    # runs at time :45
sleep 45
do_it &    # runs at time 1:30
sleep 45
do_it &    # runs at time 2:15

Have cron run this every three minutes.

Note, though, that cron does not guarantee fine-grain scheduling, so
you might be off a bit. But it's close.

Why 45 seconds?

Alternatively, have cron check every few minutes that the following
shell script is still running, and if not relaunch it:

#!/bin/sh
while true; do do_it &; sleep 45; done

In all of the above you can get rid of the ampersands if the run time
for do_it is not a concern.

--
 Jeff