Michael C. Toren on Thu, 19 Jul 2001 03:16:35 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Configuring Mutt or another email program

> Another note: mutt has IMAP support builtin, but in keeping with the
> Unix philosophy (of each program doing one thing and doing it extremely
> well instead of monolithic programs that do many things, but not
> necessarily well), it doesn't do POP or SMTP.  Setting up an MTA can be
> an adventure in and of itself, but I hear that fetchmail is pretty
> straightforward to set up.

mutt does indeed have support for POP3, however it lacks support
for sending mail via SMTP.  If you're stuck on a host that doesn't
have an MTA installed, you may be interested in the ssmtp package,
at <ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/mail/mta/>

-mct