Bill Jonas on Sun, 22 Jul 2001 12:10:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] potato to woody question

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 09:10:57AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> A second, says lspci, is Bridgecom Inc: Unknown device 9851
> (rev. 11). (It's a Linksys card.) Google makes me think that this card
> may be hopeless.

Is it the LNE100TX (EtherFast)?
http://www.linksys.com/support/support.asp?spid=25

> A third is 3Com Corporation: Unknown device 9909 (rev. 02). Not enough
> information to find much on google, it seems.

Try going into the kernel source directory, doing a 'make menuconfig',
and looking at the options for various cards to see if yours is there.
It would be helpful if you posted the model name of your card.

> 1. Am I confused? Apt-get upgraded many things, but not, apparently,
> anything kernel related. Is this intentional? Yes, I could recompile
> the kernel, but I still have to think a lot when I do that, and I've
> made errors before that render my machine inoperable after a kernel
> compile, something I try to avoid.

Yes, this is by design.  It's a feature.  ;^)  Do "apt-cache search
--names-only kernel-image" to see the various kernel-image packages
available, and pick the one that's most appropriate for your system.  If
you upgrade to a 2.4 kernel image, you'll need to add
"initrd=/boot/initrd" to the section for "image=/vmlinuz"; Debian's
using an initrd image for some strange reason for the 2.4 series. :-/

> 2. Why does apt-get say it's holding back certain packages when I do a
> dist-upgrade?

If all packages won't have all their dependencies satisfies, apt-get
will attempt to upgrade the more important packages at the expense of
the less important packages.  The man page has slightly more
information.

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin