Bill Jonas on Sun, 22 Jul 2001 11:50:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Sound card permissions

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 08:40:13AM -0400, John Beck wrote:
> Added the correct line to /etc/rc.d/rc.modules.
> As root, did # chmod 644 /dev/dsp* /dev/midi* /dev/mixer*
> As I said, this all works as root fine, so I am sure I have permissions that
> are goofed up somehow.  I thought the chmod command would have fixed them,
> but it doesn't appear to have worked...

You have to write data to the audio device(s) in order to play sound.
chgrp the device files to something like group audio, chmod them to 660,
and add yourself to the audio group.  It should work fine for you after
that.

BTW, you were on the right track.  Probably 95% of the problems that
I've had in Linux involve incorrect permissions.

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin