Jeff Abrahamson on Sun, 22 Jul 2001 09:20:06 -0400

[PLUG] potato to woody question

I'm trying to set up a new machine with three ethernet cards, of which
I only need to get two working.

One is recognized by lspci, although I have to figure out myself that
it's the eepro100 driver.

A second, says lspci, is Bridgecom Inc: Unknown device 9851
(rev. 11). (It's a Linksys card.) Google makes me think that this card
may be hopeless.

A third is 3Com Corporation: Unknown device 9909 (rev. 02). Not enough
information to find much on google, it seems.

Mandrake 8.0 is able to recognize two of the cards (but not to
net-install fully), so I only know that it's possible.

So I s/stable/unstable/g in sources.list, in the hopes of upgrading to
the point that I can see a new module that will work.

Questions:

1. Am I confused? Apt-get upgraded many things, but not, apparently,
anything kernel related. Is this intentional? Yes, I could recompile
the kernel, but I still have to think a lot when I do that, and I've
made errors before that render my machine inoperable after a kernel
compile, something I try to avoid.

2. Why does apt-get say it's holding back certain packages when I do a
dist-upgrade?

Tia for clues.

--
 Jeff