John Beck on Sun, 22 Jul 2001 08:50:04 -0400

[PLUG] Sound card permissions

Hey everyone.  I am having some trouble getting my sound card to work as a
regular user.  As root, I have no problem at all...  (by the way, this is on
Slackware 8.0...)

Here is what I have done so far:

Added the correct line to /etc/rc.d/rc.modules.
As root, did # chmod 644 /dev/dsp* /dev/midi* /dev/mixer*

Logged in as root, and I am still having some trouble.  For example, when
going to start the mixer, I get this message:  "I was not able to open your
audio device.  Please check that you have permission to open /dev/mixer and
make sure that you have sound support compiled into your kernel."

As I said, this all works as root fine, so I am sure I have permissions that
are goofed up somehow.  I thought the chmod command would have fixed them,
but it doesn't appear to have worked...

Any ideas?

Thanks!