Jeff Abrahamson on Thu, 2 Aug 2001 06:00:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] convert --pixels <number>

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 11:51:20PM -0400, Darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> Per our conversation, please read:
> http://www.chaosreigns.com/code/thumbnail/

On which page you write:

  The guts:

  $newx = int($x / (sqrt($x * $y) / sqrt($pixelcount)));
  $newy = int($y / (sqrt($x * $y) / sqrt($pixelcount)));

  If this inspires you to use a similar calculation for resizing
  images, please consider giving me credit.

Now, I'm not averse to your receiving credit, but (and I don't mean to
nitpick), this group would be the first to jump all over someone for
applying for or receiving a patent for an obvious innovation. And I'll
claim that what you wrote is obvious, in the sense that I went to
derive an equation from scratch for $newx and $newy and found I
immediately had what you wrote with only a half minute's worth of
scribbling.

I just wanted to highlight the parallelism: you want credit for
something that at least some (at least one) of us thinks is
obvious. Of course, you don't *force* us to give you credit, which is
a significant difference.

That said, if I used your (or anyone's) code verbatim, I'm sure I
would give credit, whether asked or not. It just raised my hackles a
tiny bit to read the "or anything similar" nature of your request.

--
 Jeff