Bill Jonas on Thu, 2 Aug 2001 09:10:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] convert --pixels <number>

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 05:40:28AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> That said, if I used your (or anyone's) code verbatim, I'm sure I
> would give credit, whether asked or not. It just raised my hackles a
> tiny bit to read the "or anything similar" nature of your request.

To be honest with you, that bit raised my eyebrows slightly as well.

Anyway, a few days ago I was looking at the code.  As an exercise for
myself, I modified his script to use warnings and strict, and also
re-wrote the dimension-sizing code.  Here's what I came up with for the
guts of the algorithm:

  if ($x > $y) { $newx = 100; $newy = int(100 * $y / $x);
  } elsif ($y > $x) { $newy = 100; $newx = int(100 * $x / $y);
  } else { $newx = $newy = 100; }

...which, IMO, is clearer in what it does.  (Standard proportion
formula.)  Of course, Darxus' code has the advantage of not being
dependent on which dimension is longer.  (Although one might note that
the call to "sqrt($pixelcount)" in his code is spurious and could be
replaced with "$edgepixels = 100" and dividing by $edgepixels or
something.)

$ wc -l ~/tmp/thumbnail*
     45 /home/bj/tmp/thumbnail
     50 /home/bj/tmp/thumbnail.Darxus
     95 total

(I didn't remove any blank lines or comments, either, to get the line
count down.)

:)

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin