gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 8 Aug 2001 17:50:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Path stuff

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 05:03:18PM -0400, Bradley Molnar wrote:
> I can't remember how to change my path variable ($PATH) and also how to
> change it so it stays even after I logout.

What shell are you using?

For Bourne shell variants (sh, bash, ksh, ash, zsh):

export PATH=${PATH}:<add stuff here>

(The inclusion of the variable expansion will keep your existing
path. I'm presuming you just want to add stuff.)

Put the above in ~/.profile to get it used by default.

For C shell variants (csh, tcsh):

setenv PATH ${PATH}:<add stuff here>

Put that in ~/.cshrc for it to exist every login.

$PATH is a colon separated list of directories (WITHOUT a trailing
slash!). C shell also uses a space separated list called $path and
does some kind of magic to merge the two. But it's probably better to
just stick with $PATH so you don't get confused even if you have to
switch shell types.

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net