Tony Dominello on Wed, 8 Aug 2001 19:35:39 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Path stuff

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Bradley Molnar wrote:

> I can't remember how to change my path variable ($PATH) and also how to
> change it so it stays even after I logout.

Look in the manual for whatever shell you are using.  If you're using the
default, it's probably bash on Linux.  Look in your home directory for
'.bash_profile' (note leading period in filename).  Open it in a text editor,
and look for a line that looks like "PATH=$PATH:, etc" and add your new path
to the line, separating each path with a colon.

Also, read up on bash, especially customization.  There are lots of cool
things you can do.  Remember-- the shell is your friend!

---
DISCLAIMER - This text was written on the road and may contain errors of fact,
tact, and decency due to the cumulative effects of cabin fever, emotional
displacement, and restaurant food.