Tony Dominello on Wed, 8 Aug 2001 19:26:49 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DSL: Questions to ask?

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Michael Leone wrote:

> 6 weeks, in my case. And I'm told that that's AVERAGE for ANY DSL line
> provider. You wait and wait and wait ...
> "OK" means $39.95 for a 640/90 DSL line, that's got high uptime.

Yeah-- speakeasy runs 39.95 (plus FCC charge) for that speed.  For $10 more a
month, you get 2 static IP's.

Also, the wait is the only complaint I have heard people make about DSL
(except, of course, Verizon) is the install wait time.  However, remember that
for non-shared lines, Verizon has to do the install (union rules) to the
building-- Covad (or whoever) then does the inside wiring.  Much of the delay
for DSL in this area is Verizon's doing.  Not all, but at least part.

I say, so what?  wait a month (even two) with dial-up to get how many years of
better bandwidth.  Remmber-- it's catering to people who don't care one way or
another, just so long as they get their instant gratification, which made AOL
the shining beacon of technology it is today.  :-)

---
DISCLAIMER - This text was written on the road and may contain errors of fact,
tact, and decency due to the cumulative effects of cabin fever, emotional
displacement, and restaurant food.