gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 9 Aug 2001 03:27:32 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DSL: Questions to ask?

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 04:19:04PM -0700, Tony Dominello wrote:
> FYI-- Speakeasy just opened another POP in DC, and they've announced their
> next one is going to be Philly!

Heh. I read my grace.speakeasy.net email too, Tony. ;^>

I'm still on the NYC POP, of course, because only people in the DC
area (and south? so far as Virginia?) were moved to the DC POP. I'm
definitely looking forward to the Philly POP. I expect it'll touch
with both alter.net and Yipes!. Which will rock, as the vast
majority of the sites I need to get to are on the other end of one
or the other. (Oh, or they're on provider which touches with
Speakeasy's Seattle offices. For obvious reasons, these links are
pretty fast too. :^>)

> They're very forthright about their business goals.  For instance, they've
> been right on top of the Covad chapter 11 thing.  Three months ago, they
> announced that they had a plan to keep "nearly" everyone on line even in the
> event of Covad going belly-up.  They said that they couldn't reveal the name
> of the company they had the contingency plan with, but that it was in place.

My gut feeling tells me that they didn't have another company at
all, but had insider information about how the Chapter 11
proceedings were going to go. (That is, that only the umbrella Covad
corporation was actually going to file, not affecting the actual
service-providing divisions.)

> They went on to say that they felt this was "exactly what the
> industry needs" to get the whole sector on the right track.

... which is completely markting BS. But whatever. :^>

> they also have an optional newsletter called RTFM, which discusses their

Ooo... I hadn't known about that. How do I subscribe?

> Anyway, DSL rox.  OTOH, if cable is your only option I would consider that
> pretty compelling.

And, as I said elsewhere, if you're in the Philly area and set on
going the cable route, I strongly recommend taking a look at RCN. If
only because they're not Comcast (whose level of customer service is
apallingly bad).

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net