Michael C. Toren on Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:46:40 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DSL: Questions to ask?

Changing the topic slightly ...

> There are no Linux specific issues for me, as I actually use NetBSD
> on the majority of the computers in my apartment (excepting the
> NeXT, the mac laptop, and, potentially, the SGI I'm considering
> buying). (Why, you may ask, do I partake in a LUG mailing list?
> Well, there aren't so many BSD user groups, I definitely use Linux
> from time to time, and it's not like my interests are exactly
> orthogonal.)

More than a few months ago, an idea was raised that perhaps PLUG should be
less Linux-centric, and concentrate more on Unix in general.  I thought it
was a wonderful idea, but it was met with a good deal of resistance.
Perhaps it's time to raise that debate again?

Personally, I feel that hearing someone give a talk related to *BSD would be
nice for a change now and then, and that there are a number of good crossover
topics that we could take advantage of.  An introduction to the ports
collection, geared toward Linux administrators?  Configuring an ipf firewall
with the latest OpenBSD release, or with whatever tools {Free,Net}BSD are
using?  The promises of OSX, with a seemingly nice desktop powered by a Unix
system?  I think there is a good deal of potential here, and that limiting
talks only to Linux-specific topics is denying ourselves exposure to other
riches that Unix has to offer.

Please note that I am not advocating we change the name of PLUG (or ditch our
new letterhead <g>).  I'm merely suggesting that there are other interesting
Unix-related topics to explore, which aren't necessarily Linux-specific.

Thanks,

-mct