LeRoy Cressy on Mon, 13 Aug 2001 09:20:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DSL: Questions to ask?

I ageree with you Mike, for I realize that if the new users get a good
foundation in the basic UNIX commands that are used on all flavors of
UNIX then there would not be a dependance on specifying distribution
centric utilities.  Thou some of the gui utilities are nice, there is a
need to get back to the roots of UNIX.

As you said there is a crossover between all the flavors of UNIX with
Linux
being one of them.  From following the mailing list I see many of the
new
users getting bogged down with what distribution they are using or what
distribution utility to use.  It would help them learn the system better
to learn the basics thus allowing them to branch out to all of the UNIX
flavors like BSD, Solarus, SUN, and etc.

"Michael C. Toren" wrote:

> Changing the topic slightly ...
>
> > There are no Linux specific issues for me, as I actually use NetBSD
> > on the majority of the computers in my apartment (excepting the
> > NeXT, the mac laptop, and, potentially, the SGI I'm considering
> > buying). (Why, you may ask, do I partake in a LUG mailing list?
> > Well, there aren't so many BSD user groups, I definitely use Linux
> > from time to time, and it's not like my interests are exactly
> > orthogonal.)
>
> More than a few months ago, an idea was raised that perhaps PLUG should be
> less Linux-centric, and concentrate more on Unix in general.  I thought it
> was a wonderful idea, but it was met with a good deal of resistance.
> Perhaps it's time to raise that debate again?
>
> Personally, I feel that hearing someone give a talk related to *BSD would be
> nice for a change now and then, and that there are a number of good crossover
> topics that we could take advantage of.  An introduction to the ports
> collection, geared toward Linux administrators?  Configuring an ipf firewall
> with the latest OpenBSD release, or with whatever tools {Free,Net}BSD are
> using?  The promises of OSX, with a seemingly nice desktop powered by a Unix
> system?  I think there is a good deal of potential here, and that limiting
> talks only to Linux-specific topics is denying ourselves exposure to other
> riches that Unix has to offer.
>
> Please note that I am not advocating we change the name of PLUG (or ditch our
> new letterhead <g>).  I'm merely suggesting that there are other interesting
> Unix-related topics to explore, which aren't necessarily Linux-specific.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -mct

Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:lcressy@telocity.com   /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )