Jeff Abrahamson on Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:10:04 -0400

[PLUG] perldoc question

On my Mandrake box, I can say

$ perldoc -f stat
       stat FILEHANDLE

       stat EXPR

       stat    Returns a 13-element list giving the status info
               for a file, either the file opened via FILEHANDLE,
               or named by EXPR.  If EXPR is omitted, it stats
               `$_'.  Returns a null list if the stat fails.
               Typically used as follows:

Good.

Not so on my debian box at home. (It says perlfunc not available.)

It's not clear what to apt-get to make this work properly. Any
suggestions?

I'm not sure, but this might be related to the following sillyness: I
tried saying "apt-get install perl" thinking maybe I didn't have
everything I needed. I was told that this would cause perl5.004 and a
couple others to be deinstalled, which would mean some 50 things would
be removed, so that perl *and perl5.004 and those same things that
were removed* could be installed.

Any idea why apt-get would consider such a thing?

--
 Jeff