Michael C. Toren on Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:38:28 -0400

Re: [PLUG] perldoc question

> I'm not sure, but this might be related to the following sillyness: I
> tried saying "apt-get install perl" thinking maybe I didn't have
> everything I needed. I was told that this would cause perl5.004 and a
> couple others to be deinstalled, which would mean some 50 things would
> be removed, so that perl *and perl5.004 and those same things that
> were removed* could be installed.

The Debian perl packages are a little confusing, but built the way they are
so that multiple versions of perl could be made available; the package named
simply "perl" depends upon perl-5.004, rather than the newer perl-5.005.
Unless you have a need to run the older version, and if this is a potato box,
you probably want to do:

    apt-get install perl-5.005 perl-5.005-base perl-5.005-doc perl-5.005-suid

-mct