Jeff Abrahamson on Mon, 13 Aug 2001 16:30:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] perldoc question

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 10:38:28AM -0400, Michael C. Toren wrote:
> > I'm not sure, but this might be related to the following sillyness: I
> > tried saying "apt-get install perl" thinking maybe I didn't have
> > everything I needed. I was told that this would cause perl5.004 and a
> > couple others to be deinstalled, which would mean some 50 things would
> > be removed, so that perl *and perl5.004 and those same things that
> > were removed* could be installed.
>
> The Debian perl packages are a little confusing, but built the way they are
> so that multiple versions of perl could be made available; the package named
> simply "perl" depends upon perl-5.004, rather than the newer perl-5.005.
> Unless you have a need to run the older version, and if this is a potato box,
> you probably want to do:
>
>     apt-get install perl-5.005 perl-5.005-base perl-5.005-doc perl-5.005-suid

Wow, thanks. Debian is great as long as you know what obscure thing to
ask for. ;-)

So now when I say "perl -f stat" it says

=item stat FILEHANDLE

=item stat EXPR

=item stat

Returns a 13-element list giving the status info for a file, either
the file opened via FILEHANDLE, or named by EXPR.  If EXPR is omitted,
it stats C<$_>.  Returns a null list if the stat fails.  Typically used
as follows:

Seems like some missing formatting something. Any thoughts?

--
 Jeff