Guillermo Moyna on Sat, 11 Aug 2001 10:48:49 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Accessing IP-dependent pages from home... (detach me)

Yep. I'm purely guessing here based on my experience with other
academic institutions, but I would say that your 10net is behind a
Cisco PIX firewall (or another embedded system that does the same
work), which is doing some kind of network address translation
(NAT). The school probably does have externally-addressable IP
addresses mapped over some portion of your 10net, but they may very
well not have any for your machines. (That is, to the outside world,
most of the stuff that's in 10.whatever looks like the same IP
address, but a couple machines may look like specific IP addresses.)

That's exactly the case. My Mac (in the 10net range) connects to the world as 208.7.153.253, and so do all the winders boxes using DHCP (which is the same address I use for gateway in my linux machines that have 208net addresses...), but the linux machines have their own 208net IP address (simple page to do this http://www.lawrencegoetz.com/programs/ipinfo/)

Yes. If you already have one externally addressable IP address on
your Linux machine, then doing what you describe (called
multihoming, btw) will work as long as there is an ethernet port you
can plug the Linux machine into that is on the right (physical)
ethernet segment to reach the DHCP server. (I'm guessing that's not
hard; all the ports in that conference room which you've kindly been
letting PLUG use popped up on 10.1.yadda, so you probably have a
similar port in your office.)

That'll work also. In my office I have one of those crappy hubs to split my ethernet data drop to which I connect both my Mac (10net) and my LINUX box (208net), and it works fine. Although my Mac is in the 10net range, it does not use DHCP, but in the lab (that I will show you guys next time you come) we have a mess of manual, DHCP, 10net and 208net, and it all works fine, probably by mere coincidence ;-)

You should either make sure that your machine is not vulnerable to
any nasty remote attacks for yourself, or check with your site's
security policy about doing this kind of multihoming dance first.
(Depends on how concientious you want to be and how bureaucratic USP
is about this kind of thing.)

Hey, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. I'm pulling an old ne2000 clone from a dead box as I write, and after I open 'tonga' and try to rig the whole thing up I'll let you know how it went.

Thanks again!

Guillermo

+==================-------------- --- -- -  -    -     -
Guillermo Moyna, PhD
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495

 "The only existing things are atoms and empty space.
  All else is mere opinion" - Democritus, 370 B.C.

Office: Grifith Hall 360
Phone:  (215) 596-8526
Fax:    (215) 596-8543
e-mail: g.moyna@usip.edu