Guillermo Moyna on Sun, 12 Aug 2001 16:47:55 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Accessing IP-dependent pages from home...

I am concerned that this may be considered violating the license.

You are right, I will have to check with IT/library first. However, if I limited the access by making it only accessible to those who have accounts on tonga (which are all USP faculty/students), I think it should be OK...

If tonga's existing nic is plugged into the same segment that's doing
10.1.x.x DHCP, you don't need a second nic.  Just bring up a secondary IP
in that range:

 ifconfig eth0:1 10.1.2.3 up

..that is, of course, wrong, because it's not using dhcp.  But I'm not sure
how to do one IP via DHCP, and one static.

I think it does not have to be DHCP, it only needs to be in the 10.1.x.x range. As a matter of fact, my Mac is static but in the 10.1.x.x range and able to access the databases. So I have to talk to IT anyway to let them know that I will be snatching an IP from that range...

Then set your routing up so that the IPs for the hosts you're trying to
connect to are routed through the 10.x gateway, and set your default
gateway tonga is currently using.

I think I should be able to do this with minimal problems. What still puzzles me is, how will the machine now it has to use its 10.x IP (and gateway) when connecting to the world through lynx or netscape?

Now how are you accessing this data ?  If it's all via http, you could
install an http proxy server, and you'd be done.

Now, this is what I had originally thought about, but after getting some info I was utterly confused. Who whould this work? I beleive that I have to set up a proxy server on tonga (that should use the 10.x router), and then somehow access it from home using a browser, right? How? Will I be prompted for passwords (I hope so, otherwise anyone could access the databases and everything else, as I would have left a nice big hole in the firewall...).

Any ideas/suggestions/directions welcomed. Take care,

Guillermo

+==================-------------- --- -- -  -    -     -
Guillermo Moyna, PhD
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495

 "The only existing things are atoms and empty space.
  All else is mere opinion" - Democritus, 370 B.C.

Office: Grifith Hall 360
Phone:  (215) 596-8526
Fax:    (215) 596-8543
e-mail: g.moyna@usip.edu