Darxus on Sat, 11 Aug 2001 16:03:58 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Accessing IP-dependent pages from home...

On 08/11, Guillermo Moyna wrote:
> Here on campus, most of our office machines have IP addresses in the
> 10.1.x.x range. Our school has 'contracts' with several
> databases/digital libraries that check the IP of the machines trying
> to access the stuff. If they are in the 10.1.x.x range, they are
> allowed, otherwise they're not.

I am concerned that this may be considered violating the license.

On 08/11, Guillermo Moyna wrote:
> >You've already got plenty of Linux machines up, so just ssh in and
> >use lynx (or whatever).
>
> This is probably the best bet. However, the linux machine to which I
> have access (tonga) is on a 208.7.x.x range. Could I install a second
> NIC on this machine and set it to, say, DHCP, so that it picks one of
> the 10.1.x.x IP's?

If tonga's existing nic is plugged into the same segment that's doing
10.1.x.x DHCP, you don't need a second nic.  Just bring up a secondary IP
in that range:

  ifconfig eth0:1 10.1.2.3 up

..that is, of course, wrong, because it's not using dhcp.  But I'm not sure
how to do one IP via DHCP, and one static.

Then set your routing up so that the IPs for the hosts you're trying to
connect to are routed through the 10.x gateway, and set your default
gateway tonga is currently using.

Now how are you accessing this data ?  If it's all via http, you could
install an http proxy server, and you'd be done.

Another possibility is somehow routing through tonga.  Maybe by setting up
a ppp tunnel from your box to tonga.

It's possible.

--
http://www.ChaosReigns.com