Bill Jonas on Sun, 19 Aug 2001 17:10:08 +0200

Re: [PLUG] apt-get and old sources

On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 09:34:44AM +0200, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> Any suggestions?

Try the following command sequence:

# apt-get install grep-dctrl
# grep-available -i ximian |grep ^Package |awk '{print $2}' |xargs dpkg \
  --purge --force-depends
# apt-cache search ximian |awk '{print $2}' |xargs dpkg --purge \
  --force-depends
# apt-get -f install

This sequence:
* Installs the grep-dctrl package (see the description of it from
  apt-cache show to learn more about it).
* Searches the package list files for anything that contains the
  case-insensitive string "ximian", chooses the lines with the package
  names, prints the package names, and then sends them to dpkg to remove
  with extreme prejudice (all dependency errors will be turned into
  warnings).
* Does the same thing again, but uses apt-cache search.  (For
  completeness.)
* Fixes any broken dependencies you have.

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin