Jarvis, John on Tue, 21 Aug 2001 17:10:09 +0200

RE: [PLUG] Hey

Hi, my name is JOhn and I also live up near philly (king of prussia).
Besides this list being very concerned with whether bouncing html msgs is
appropiate there hasn't been much linux discussion. :)

I have a linux question though.. (sorry if questions like this are not
apropriate for the list, but I think (hope) that this msg does not contain
html :) )
For whatever reason something happend going from kernel 2.2.19 to 2.4.9 to
cause my 3com 3c509 ethernet card to not work.
The 3c509 module loads correctly with 2.4.9 (i see the device correctly
configured and whatnot when i do an ifconfig) but I cannot ping any ohter
machine on my network.  If I switch to kernel version 2.2.19 with exactly
the same module it works fine!  Go figure.
Anyway, my question.. are there usually version numbers associated with
kernel modules and if so how do you find out what they are?
Nothing in Documentation/modules.txt and nothing in modinfo gave me any
indication of a way to query a version number (modinfo gives me usage
parameters and whatnot)
Granted I can look at the source code for the module in the two linux kernel
versions to see if anything changed but is there any other way?

Thanks,
John